Best things to do in Palm Cove, Queensland!
Palm Cove is a calm alternative to the popular tourist destinations in North Queensland is Palm Cove.
Located on the East Coast of Australia between Cairns and Port Douglas, this beach town is fast becoming recognised as a relaxing place to chill, especially for those from the wintery, southern states of Australia.
Pin for later! 🙂
Are you into sheltered beaches, glittering swimming pools, and happy vibes?
Even though the demographic is mostly older generations and young families, Palm Cove is not to be shunned by anyone in search of much needed downtime.
While it’s good to avoid the usual tourist traps ( How To Avoid Tourist Traps And Have The BEST Holiday), it’s not difficult to enjoy some of the more popular experiences in this location, including the lovely Palm Cove restaurants and calm and pretty Palm Cove beaches.
Here is my list of the best things to do in Palm Cove, Queensland:
- Strolling south along the beach, you’ll find quieter seaside stretches, in between tucked away beach houses. (*Note: beware of crocs when outside swimming flags!).
- Visit the nearby (5 mins by car) Clifton Beach for a quieter experience.
- Ensure to book your accommodation at Palm Cove with a sheltered pool, in the windier, winter months.
- At low tide, climb the rocks at the north point of the main drag for ultimate beach views.
- Have a drink at NuNu, one of the luxurious Palm Cove restaurants on the beach, and take in one of the many weddings or sunset views while the staff bring complimentary appetizers.
- Eat as much pizza as possible at Il Forno in the middle of town. For every thin pizza base and Italian food fan.
It’s safe to say the two main attackers in this locale of Far North Queensland are Stingers and Crocs!
Stingers – Take note of stinger season, what to keep a lookout for, and remedies (vinegar).
Crocs- Swim between the flags and talk to the lifeguards. As with Port Douglas, they provide a beach board with daily weather, stinger, and croc updates and will clear the beach at any sighting.
3 fatalities in the area in the last ten years and who knows how many injuries are enough to keep any vacation brain alert!
Related post: 8 Calm Swimming Beaches In Australia
Plenty of shuttles run between Cairns, Palm Cove, and Port Douglas at around $25-30 per trip. Note, these require pre booking. There are also car hire options (book ahead in peak season) and Uber options in some areas.
Palm Cove is a go-to place for anyone looking to relax, defrost, and stroll short distances for long lunches.
For the more adventurous, nearby are tour options for The Daintree, Great Barrier Reef or the list of spectacular Waterfalls and forests, which makes this area one of the most accessible holiday destinations for families and groups from both interstate or overseas.
More info on Palm Cove is available here.